Please join me in welcoming our new Research Development Specialist, Kevin Boettcher, who joined the Harpur College staff earlier this summer. Kevin has previously worked with university-wide writing programs at Rice University and at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, where he taught classes, developed workshops, and provided writing advice for researchers in a variety of fields. He has a Ph.D. in English from UW-Madison, and he was a lecturer in Binghamton's English Department in Spring 2016.
As part of the Harpur Dean's Office staff, Kevin provides support for faculty who are interested in pursuing external funding opportunities. He will work with faculty – both on and off the tenure track – to...
- Identify and track possible funding opportunities in their fields
- Discuss tactics for tailoring proposals to specific audiences
- Make (and stick to) a realistic timeline for writing proposals
- Connect with other offices on campus that can help develop grant materials
- Revise proposals using feedback from colleagues and outside reviewers
- Improve the overall forcefulness and clarity of the prose in all parts of the proposal
Beyond these individual consultations, Kevin will also coordinate workshops, info sessions, and other faculty development events throughout the academic year, with a particular focus on topics of interest for early-career researchers. We will soon send out an announcement about the fall schedule of events. Additionally, Kevin is available to meet with Harpur graduate students preparing major fellowship and grant applications of their own, as well as with program/department administrators who are considering applying for development or teaching grants for their programs.
If you are interested in working with Kevin, please email him (firstname.lastname@example.org) to set up an introductory meeting, including your availability and a brief note about your research interests.